PAYNE POSTS

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sunday Dinner, Oops!

Earlier in the week we thought that pot roast sounded good for Sunday dinner. We usually get one or two from my parents because they consistently have a side of beef in their freezer, but we haven't seen them for awhile. So while at Costco we picked ourselves up a roast. Ryan makes a mean pot roast, I never even liked pot roast until I had his mom's which is the same way that he makes it. This tasty method requires keeping the roast boiling in liquid on the stove top for several hours. Which we have done numerous times without a problem, well today things went in a different direction. When we left for church Ryan said he was going to run home between meetings to check on the meat, well he got caught up and did not make it home. We came speeding home from church so that our meat would not be ruined. This speeding was in vain, when I got out of the car I could smell the smoke in the garage. When I walked in the house you could see the smoke, not only in the kitchen, throughout the entire house. Thankfully it warmed up a little today and we can stand to have all of the windows open, but it still reeks, and chances are we are all going to reek for who knows how long. Clothes, dishes, everything smells like smoke. The amazing part though, the majority of the roast was still edible, and we still ate it for dinner, it was a little dry but nothing a little A1 couldn't mask. I really hope things start airing out, but the rooms without ventilation, closets etc. still smell pretty bad. I really hope clothes will air out without having to wash everything. I guess I am just grateful that we still had food to eat and that our house didn't burn down. Good thing we were at church :)

p.s. Don't let this fairly optimistic blogging tone fool you, I was pretty mad when I got home. In my defense I had just spent the last hour and 45 minutes practicing for the primary program trying to keep 9 six year olds quiet on the stand, rocking back and forth in the folding chairs. I already had a headache and the smoke didn't help, but life goes on right.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have done that more times than I care to admit. It eventually airs out, but sometimes takes a while. We however have never been able to salvage any of the burnt offerings to eat. Love your blogs nonetheless.

Nat Lud said...

Eesh. Primary Program's are a pain for those involved! you totally deserved to go home and relax and enjoy a yummy meal. sorry it didn't turn out so well! Hope you don't smell for too long! Totally kidding.

Melanie and Spencer said...

OH NO!! That is horrible, I'm glad you were still able to enjoy the roast. Hopefully the smell of smoke will begin to lift soon.

Melanie said...

Oh Andrea, I'm so sorry! That stinks! (Sorry for the pun, but I couldn't help it.) Anyway, I'm glad your dinner wasn't ruined and your house didn't burn down. Hopefully that smoky smell will be gone fairly soon.

How cold is it there already?

Sarah said...

That is so sad! I'm glad that it was just smoke and not flames, but still so frustrating that everything smells like smoke now. You'll have to tell me Ryan's secret recipe since I have never made a good pot roast.

Kristin said...

Remember when I did that with the chicken in Vegas? We had to spend the night at the Mannings it was so bad, and in the middle of summer, so leaving the windows open was a joke. In the end I washed EVERYTHING, every bed linen, every towel, every couch slipcover, throw pillow, curtain, table cloth, clothes, coats, you name it, and it STILL stunk for weeks! We even threw kitty litter on the carpet and vacuumed hoping to get the smell out of the carpet, but alas, only time did the trick. I feel for you...